Friday, April 11, 2008

Is that a...? Was that a....? What is that?

So I began a previous post with the statement: Was that a rooster? and that has become a common way for me to begin my thoughts here.

Is that an avocado tree?
Yes..now get a stick and let's make guacamole tonight!

Hey look, a snake!
Watch out, it could be a black mamba. The group seems divided on the species of snake.
I have now spent some time online and cannot either confirm or deny that it was or was not a baby black mamba. I am very cautious when I walk around in the grass.

Did that lizard's tail just turn blue?
Yes, they turn blue in the sunlight. My uncle would love it here!

What bit me last night?
Was it a mosquito, a spider (shudder), an ant, or perhaps something else entirely.

What exactly is in DEET?
I love reading the warning label on the insect repellent. "Keep away from plastics and synthetic fabric" But spread that stuff on your skin, no problem!

Will I finish my thesis?
No answer.

What is that noise?
The tin roof here at the lodge crackles. It sounds like it is raining, but it's not. So what is that sound? Is it the heat? Any idea?

What are we having for dinner tonight?
Cauli and cheese.
Eating and what we are going to eat seems to be a favorite topic.

Given I am the only American here surrounded by mostly volunteers from the UK, I am slowly being introduced to the culinary delights of that country. There are a wide variety of beans sold in the People's supermarket, along with a range of Cadbury milk chocolates. I am told that these beans are excellent on toast but I am yet to be that adventurous. There is no dark chocolate in sight. I am being weaned from my addiction to Starbucks and dessert...not really in the mood for milk chocolate any day of the week. Mostly likely I get my sugar fix from the disastrous amount likely in those pineapple Fanta's. I am trying to think of an America dish to prepare but am very limited by the basic amenities in our kitchen. Is macaroni and cheese American?

So these are just some of my musings. I don't think I could really include my impressions and questions about the culture and people here in such glib sentences so that will have to be the subject of another discussion.

Happy Weekend!

2 comments:

Kash said...

Cool! You are exposed to 2 diff cultures! You can make mac and cheese, I think that is quintessentially American. Or Pb&J. Good luck and let me know how it goes!

MH said...
This comment has been removed by the author.