Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Where did Mary Poppins get that bag?

So I realize that I am writing things a bit in reverse….I now see that you really have to keep up with these blogs or you fall amazingly behind! But I have to dedicate a few words to the packing experience.

I am my grandmother’s granddaughter (my mother’s mother) without a doubt. Now, maybe she would dispute this…but my guess is a lot of my family would know what I am talking about. We are both outspoken, adventurous, determined, a little controlling, absolutely type A, wonderful women. I did not however, get my grandmother’s ability to pack lightly. So sad considering my addiction to moving and travel.

I used to watch my grandmother pack for two week trips in a carry-on. Her travel clothes were always black and white so everything matched. She had the most amazing travel case for all her make-up…she had everything you could dream of needing and more. I remember my cousin and I were on a night train in Italy with her when we were 15 and she pulled out this little spray of rosewater to freshen our dry faces. Rosewater?! Who carries rosewater? I have always tried to emulate her by having band-aids, safety-pin, a lint roller, etc. with me at all times. I want to be the one can pull what anyone might be looking from her bag and hand it over to the surprised recipient. I do pretty well, but unlike my grandmother, it usually looks like I have everything but the kitchen sink with me.

You would have thought that considering I have changed addresses 10 times in 10 years (three of those being cross country moves) I would have learned to reduce. No. I now have two households worth of stuff. One sitting nicely packed in my mother’s garage, the other integrated into a lovely friend’s new digs in Manhattan.

I hate brown boxes. My cat hates them too. Boxes and suitcases. He knows what packing means – and it is never good in his opinion. I think of myself as organized and neat, not a pack rat at all, so where does all the stuff come from? I knew I was in trouble when I actually developed the talent to predict if my suitcase was over 50 lbs. I am good…frequently it would weigh in at 48 or 49, sometimes even 49.5. I can feel my grandmother shudder from here.

I was determined to pack light for this trip. I needed to be able to carry everything on my back. Well, it all will be going on my back. All 42 lbs. of it.

2 comments:

Kash said...

Kate, this is so funny. What's even funnier is that I would not be surprised at all if we were on a train in Chad and you pulled out a bottle of rosewater...It would just be so you. I love that you are you and your grandmother's daughter. you are just going to hire an additional porter to carry your bag around so you can look as cool and classy as your gram.

Jackie Jones said...

i love you so so much katherine torre. and yes u and grandma are the same...only she isnt addicted to banana haha. i miss you so so much and hope you are having an unbelievable time. keep posting blogs! i love them and read them all! xoxoxoxox