Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Short update: Made it to Malawi!

Well, I am here at last. From the minute we touched down in Lilongwe, I started to feel that rather large knot in my stomach unclench just a little. This place is much more my speed than the busy city of Addis.

The drive from the airport back to Lilongwe really felt like a tropical vacation. Everything is so lush and green. Malawi is one of the most densely populated countries around, but it sure didn't feel like it today. And my gosh, the friendliness is amazing! I already have high speed internet and a cell phone and it's only been three hours.

I guess instead of holing up with my technology, I should be out seeing the city...but I am going to save that for tomorrow as it is getting to be dusk about now and I think I have had all the adventure I can take for at least the next 12 hours.

Apparently there had been a variety of meetings scheduled for me yesterday and today (which I was unaware of until Monday evening I might add) which hopefully will be rescheduled for later this week. I am a little worried that I might already have dug a hole for myself by disrespecting those individuals I was going to meet with, but I guess you shouldn't worry about what you cannot change.

I have a really good feeling about Malawi; let's hope it pans out!

3 comments:

Kash said...

Yay! I am so glad you made it. TIA. Welcome to Africa. Keep the stories coming. I love how you were already taken care of as soon as you got there, esp the cell phone story.

Little Chef said...

You're living the transcontinental dream! Hobnobbing at NGOs, visiting foreign markets...I'm both in awe and extremely jealous! Keep writing, you're blog is fantastic.

Little Chef said...

(but my spelling is not)