Monday, April 7, 2008

My love affair with roosters and pineapple Fanta begins!

Was that a rooster? Hmmmm. Yes, that is defiantly a rooster.

I have always wanted to be a morning person. Whenever I am up in what I call the wee hours, it is always so peaceful, so pretty. I want to be one of those people who wakes with the sun and leisurely enjoys a morning cup of coffee. This is sooooooo not me. Leisurely nothing in the morning, I am most certainly late for something. Well, I think I may have found the place that can change this. The sun pours into my room in the morning (unlike that cave of an apartment in NYC with no direct light…oh how I loved it though!) and if that wasn’t enough, the rooster and the 500 plus species of birds here in Malawi most certainly are going to see to it that I am awake…early. Maybe I will get a rooster when I get back to the States.

So I am up and ready to start my day, I am feeling worlds better and finally settled. I walked down to the People’s grocery store with Carrie and Moira. And that’s where I bought it. Pineapple Fanta. I don’t usually drink sweet soda at home. Okay, maybe I binge on Coke Zero or Diet Doctor Pepper when I am in paper writing mode, but soda is not a daily ritual for me. It will be for the next 6 weeks. It’s like crack, I love it, I already crave it. Soda in a glass bottle hurray! Oh and you bet I am saving my empties, I want that 30 kwacha off my next fix.

Anyway, we got our groceries, Fanta and all, I bargained for some bananas on the way home and then we sat on the porch and enjoyed our various bubbly and cool delights.

That night Carrie made us sweet potatoes with some kind of greens that tasted like collard greens or maybe kale. Shark Tale was on TV and I mentioned that I had some DVDs as well – some of my own choosing and some a gift from my boyfriend hoping to expand my horizons to include such classics as “Good Fellas” and “Serpico.” Moira pointed out that with the power outages, we might never make it through a movie on my computer.

“But I have a second battery we can use if the first one is drained” I replied.

She called me an angel and asked were I have been all these months (she has been here 7.5 weeks). Suddenly I feel like I have rosewater!

3 comments:

Phil said...

Well I know how much you like movies full of Italians and their moral dilemmas, so you are welcome. I have no problem getting you a rooster but I don't think Solo (The Don Corleone of the cats) would appreciate that in any way.

Kash said...

I also love the mornings once I am up and vowed to return a morning person when I got back from rooster land...to no avail. I still try though!

Kash said...

Um..Walked into Associated Supermarket in the city last night and saw a 2 L bottle of PINEAPPLE FANTA!