Friday, April 11, 2008

A New Approach

I am having a hard time believing that it has only been a week since I arrived in Blantyre. I can vaguely recall my activities from earlier in the week...but I have settled into such a routine here that it feels as though it has been so much longer.

What is that routine you may ask? So far, lots of waiting.

I wasn't too expectant for things to get off to a roaring start, and I was pleased at my ability to schedule a few meetings for the following week, but after my day out in the rural areas with Freshwater Project (the subject of an upcoming post) I was starting to get antsy.

I hadn't had any luck getting in touch with my contact, and the sense of accomplishment I felt on Tuesday in scheduling 2 meetings had quickly faded.

I need some data, and I need that data fast.

So I thought I might take a new approach - head down to the City Assembly and wait there instead.

That is exactly what I did yesterday and I actually met my contact and his colleague, and hopefully I will have a busy week next week because of it.

I decided that some face to face interaction might be best so I camped out in the lobby of the City Assembly and waited to speak with someone. It was somewhat amusing for me to see the reaction of people when I responded to "he's not here" with "that's fine, I'll wait." And finally, I spoke with someone!

I always leave these meetings feeling very positive. So let's hope that its not just positivity followed by more waiting.

3 comments:

Kash said...

This is awesome. You are so funny and determined. What a way to get what you need. "That's fine, I'll wait." Way to go!

Phil said...

She learned that waiting tactic from me waiting for her. "Are you ready yet? We are just going to get the mail." HAHA! No she is great about that stuff. Usually she is ready before me. I am always stuck staring at the mirror styling my flowing locks of hair.

Nicole said...

Um I think you need to discover the joys of Cadbury milk chocolate. I swear, it's like the best thing the British have done. Also, I've heard good things about beans on toast as well (but refused to try because it sounds revolting). Leave it to me to comment about your food choices!!