Sunday, April 27, 2008

A love hate relationship

Below is a photo essay of my love/hate relationship with Malawi...there is a lot more love.

LOVE
The reason I am here: to help in some very small and removed way to improve schooling.This picture was taken at Chichiri Primary School in Blantyre
HATE
The reason I am here: an overburded education system of whichovercrowded classrooms are just a small part of the problem. Chichiri is one of the better schools yet I saw so many classes where there were over 100 students, many of whom sit on the floor.

LOVE
Finding unexpected things around every corner- This is St. Michael of All Saints

HATE
Spiders

LOVE
The fantastic attitutudes: teachers teaching under any and all conditions

HATE
SPIDERS!


LOVE
Amazing volunteers. Kerry (left) at UK citizen and recently married to a Zambian, took a 50,000 pound (yes that is double in dollars) pay cut to go work for a Zambian NGO trying to put computers in secondary schools across Africa. Moira (center) a 60 year old woman from Scotland, thought she should do something productive and generous (which for me means cleaning out my closet and going to Goodwill) so she decided she would come to Malawi and volunteer at an orphanage in a rural area of Blantyre for two months. Both women befriended me my first night in Blantyre and are reminders of the amazing people you meet in unexpected places.

HATE
SPIDERS EVERYWHERE! I am not kidding, these guys scare me to death.

LOVE
Beautiful sunsets over my city (if only on a very temporary basis)

2 comments:

Phil said...

I HATE SPIDERS ALSO!!!!

Phil said...

Another note, spiders give me the willies!!!!!!! African spiders are like the Barry Bonds of spiders I bet.